Have you ever pondered a popular quote from a popular author? Ever read something and thought Wow! That's just too good not to share? Thanks to the miracles of modern technology, now anyone can share a special quote with everyone.
Of course, just because you find interesting or poignant, that doesn't mean others will, right? Well, what if lots of people find the same quote interesting?
Here's a summary of the top 2 most popular quotes taken from the most popular scifi titles as reported by Kindle readers...
1) Fear feeds the worst in all of us. It drives the most despicable of our natures to the surface.
2) Time helps too, you know. It softens the edges, but memories almost always slice you open a little.
The Last Girl
- Joe Hart
1) Religion is our desperate attempt to understand our world. And our past. We live in darkness, surrounded by mysteries. Where did we come from? What is our purpose? What will happen to us after we die? Religion also gives us something more: a code of conduct, a blueprint of right and wrong, a guide to human decency. Just like any other tool, it can be misused.
2) We attack whatever is different, anything we don’t understand, anything that might change our world, our environment, reduce our chances of survival. Racism, class warfare, sexism, east versus west, north and south, capitalism and communism, democracy and dictatorships, Islam and Christianity, Israel and Palestine, they’re all different faces of the same war: the war for a homogeneous human race, an end to our differences.
The Atlantis Gene
- A. G. Riddle
1) The more we protect stupid people from themselves, the more we ensure the long, slow descent of the human race into idiocracy.
2) Telling people the truth relieves one of responsibility. It is then their decision what they do, not yours. It is only when you lie or deceive them that you continue to hold responsibility.
- Bob Mayer
1) A mind that dwells in the past builds a prison it cannot escape. Control your mind, or it will control you, and you will never break through the walls it builds.
2) The journey is the destination. Finding the answers for yourself, achieving understanding, is part of your journey. There are no shortcuts along the path.
The Atlantis Plague
- A. G. Riddle
1) “You are mine. That is all you need to know. If you are taken, I will come after you. If you are sick, I will never leave your side. If you leave, I will follow. You will never be without me, because I will come after you. Know this.” I brush my fingers over her breast, where her khui thrums. “Feel this and know it to be true.”
2) But make no mistake - if you leave this world, I will not be long behind, because I cannot live without you.
- Ruby Dixon
1) This was the dark side of the human reality: with no conflict, no challenge, the fire within winks out and without the flame, society stagnates, slipping into a slow decline.
2) In our pursuit for the ultimate knowledge, the technologies we created eventually enslaved us, taking the last of our humanity before we even knew it was slipping away.
The Atlantis World
- A. G. Riddle
1) If you don’t pay for a product, then you are the product.
2) Freedom is civil liberty, and the foundation of civil liberty is privacy. No privacy means no civil liberty means no freedom.
- Matthew Mather
1) Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped.
2) How come Aquaman can control whales? They’re mammals! Makes no sense.
- Andy Weir
1) Certainly the game is rigged. Don’t let that stop you; if you don’t bet, you can’t win.
2) “Good friends help you move,” Mac said. “Great friends help you move a body.”
The Book of Truths
- Bob Mayer
1) Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
2) We are born, we are shadows, we cast shadows of our own, and then we are gone. All anyone can hope for is to be remembered two shadows deep.
- High Howey
1) “The strength of the group is the strength of the leader—I am the first believer that Leaders must have the quiet confidence, the certainty, of professional preparation, and personal conviction that the task can and will be done. If so, it will.” ~ Vince Lombardi
2) There are no great men, just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet. Fleet Admiral William Frederick “Bull” Halsey, Jr.
- Tori Harris
1) Perhaps if you know you are insane then you are not insane. Or you are becoming sane, finally. Waking up.
2) Whom the gods notice they destroy. Be small . . . and you will escape the jealousy of the great.
The Man in the High Castle
- Philip K. Dick
1) If I would have had more time, I’d have written you a shorter letter.
2) "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift. That’s why they call it the present." —Unknown
- Douglas E. Richards
1) It’s easy to convince myself to let go of certain principles when they get in the way of something I really want.
2) Of course, my father is not in Heaven or Hell—those are just constructs people make up to dull the pain of losing their loved ones.
- Dima Zales
Check out some of the other categories of popular quotes by clicking on one of the links below...
Do you have a favourite quote from a scifi novel that's not listed here? Post your favourite below and see who agrees with you.